Thursday, January 15, 2009

Welcome


In talking with a friend today about Facebook and technology, I was amazed at how much time we spend with technology each day and how it affects us. I've resisted Facebook, knowing that it would be another thing I'd feel compelled to maintain and spend precious minutes with, even though I realize it has a great capacity to link people. But another reason for the resistance is the thought, "Who am I? Meaning...who am I that people should really care what I do throughout my day. After all, it is rather ho-hum."

And yet with this conversation being had, I begin a blog. Why? Isn't the same question being asked? Who am I that someone would read this? What do I have to share that would be meaningful?

Well, in spite of these questions, I find myself typing. The reason for this is that a few days ago as I was working on the blog I maintain for our family, I realized how much it was centered on my son and our life with him. It's great for keeping the grandparents and those miles away in touch, but it really doesn't go very deep. And I find myself wanting to go deep. I want to do something with meaning. My world seems so small as a stay at home Mom. So, God and I have been talking and he laid this idea on my heart. At first I went, "Huh? Do you really want me to spend precious nap time minutes working on another blog?" Then I argued, "But who will read it? I mean what's the use? What do I have to say that could really make an impact?"

Well, I don't have an answer to that last argument, but I'm obeying because I know God will use this for whatever His purpose is. Maybe it will be more for me and keeping me accountable to the path I'm walking. Maybe friends will follow it and add their wisdom to it. Maybe it will entwine itself in some ministry opportunity further down the road. Maybe someone out there in cyberspace will find something they need at just the right moment. I don't know. And when I think about it, it's not my responsibility to know the answer.

So, thank you if you are reading this and joining me. I hope we can learn together and become more conformed to the image of Christ as we walk through life.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for doing this!

Margo said...

hey...I just found out about this blog via Lisa G.'s blog...you have another follower, for sure!! I always look at your other one, but now I will get to follow YOU! I'm looking forward to it!

Rachel Beran said...

I stumbled upon your blog this evening...through a search for some specific words on bing. Not sure how I ended up here, but glad I did. I am a Christ follower
(who's desiring also to be a woman after God's own heart), stay at home famer's wife and mom in Iowa, a SS teacher and women's ministry leader. Nice to meet you. I will be back. Keep up the GREAT writing...sharing what God puts on your heart! There is a purpose and as you continue to be obedient, He will reveal it to you over time. :)

Melissa said...

Rachel,

Welcome! Thanks for your encouraging words. I love how God has us "stumble" on each other! I pray that life in Beranville is abundantly fruitful during this season.

Melissa

Kristin Bridgman said...

Hello there,
I also just somehow stumbled upon this and can't believe how similiar we are in our thoughts and how we came to start a blog. I would love to follow you. Please come visit me, I would love to see you at the "pond":)
Blessings,
Kris