Thursday, June 18, 2009

Day 18- The need for solitude

It's day 18 of my 40 Days. The goal of these 40 days is for me pray and learn more about prayer. I so desire this to be a time of growth and change! Old habits though are hard to change and good things have been happening around here. Birthday celebrations and time with my husband have been wonderful, but I haven't been focusing as I'd like to.

I knew when I began this that I wasn't going to withdraw into the "wilderness" for these 40 days, but I have a good idea why Jesus did. I'm reminded by this as I look at the Gospels and see Jesus often withdrawing to pray. I see him getting up very early. I never see Him hurrying so that He has time to pray. I never see Him trying to wash his clothes and pray. I never see Him chasing someone away so that He can pray. He just makes it happen. And I'm thinking it's because of that prayer time that other things fall into place.

I'm pondering what I need to do to find that same solitude. Do I need to get up earlier? Do I need to just stick to priorities and say no. I'm reminded by Richard J. Foster that prayer is all about relationship. It's not the fruit of my efforts. That won't be very lasting or good. I want God to look in my heart and show me what to do. I know I have committed to things and seem to take on more committments so easily. These things are good, but they take up time. And they draw me away from the solitude I also need to try to find.

I feel a lot like I'm trying to meet with God, but I've brought along the Verizon network as seen in TV commercials. It's hard to have intimate time with God with so many lurking around!

SO, Lord, show me toay what I need to change. Help me. I can't do this in my own strength. Reach down and declutter my heart. Quiet me. Show me how to draw away and meet with you. It truly is the desire of my heart.

What about you? Are you being still? Are you finding the quiet places to meet with Him? I pray you are. And if you have some suggestions for making solitude in a busy world, please share!

No comments: