Friday, June 12, 2009

Day 12- Psalm 27

I'm learning things on this 40 day journey.

I'm realizing again and again how difficult it is for me to be still. I'd so much rather being doing. Which also reflects my attitude toward God...It's easier to "do things" than to be in relationship with Him. ARGH!

This is probably why Psalm 27 spoke loud and clear to me when I came across it. David's Psalm has a familiar beginning, "The Lord is my light and my salvation- so why should I be afraid. The Lord is my fortress, protecting me from danger, so why should I tremble?" David makes a request a few verses later that I find my heart also wanting to make. "The one thing I ask of the Lord- the think I seek most- is to live in the house of the Lord all the days of my life, delighting in the Lord's perfection and meditating in his Temple." Now we know from what David has written in the surrounding verses that he's not exactly in a peaceful place in life. People are attacking him. He's facing trouble. He desires to be very close to God, but probably circumstances are making it difficult. He would love to have endless time to focus on God and know Him. It's that feeling that I can identify with. Instead of the endless interruptions or demands on time, I long to be in a place of solitude, God's home, where it can just be the two of us.

I think it may be the very think God's inviting us to in verse 8. "My heart has heard you say, "Come and talk with me." And my heart responds, "Lord, I am coming." That's a great picture of prayer. God wants us to come and talk with Him. To BE with Him. To share our hearts with Him.

How often though I find that I'm the one that lets that time be interrupted. I'm the one that is my own worst enemy. My prayer today is found in part of verse 11. "Teach me how to live, O Lord. Lead me along the right path..."

May He be leading you also!

No comments: