Friday, April 10, 2009

A Holy Hush

This morning I finally had quiet time before the rest of the household was up. What a wonderful time! Even though I may not have had the morning to myself for a while, God has been faithful to meet with me when I have drawn near. I have been so blessed as I’ve been preparing for a special Sunday School lesson this Sunday. As I posted earlier about celebrations, God planted seeds that I should continue to dig deeper and share with my Sunday School class what He has been teaching me. The time studying has made the Easter season so very sweet to me. And so this morning, this Good Friday morning, there’s been a holy hush. I can’t explain why, but the emotions have poured over me this year and worship has just welled from my heart as I’ve contemplated God’s plan of redemption.

As part of my quiet time I thought on Isaiah 52:13- Isaiah 53:12. Isaiah 52:14 tells us, “His face was so disfigured that he seemed hardly human, and from his appearance, one would scarcely know he was a man.” The description continues in 53:2 by saying that there wasn’t much there that would attract us or make us think that he was the one for us. In fact, he was despised and rejected. The words in vs 3 really got me, “We turned our backs on him and looked the other way. He was despised and we did not care.” Isaiah refers to Jesus as “a man of sorrows”. He also writes that it was our sorrows that weighted him down.

The description of what Jesus encountered for us grieves me and draws out such love for this God of mine. Notice:
He was pierced for our rebellion.
He was crushed for our sins.
He was beaten so we could be whole.
He was whipped so we could be healed.
He was oppressed and treated harshly.
He was led like a lamb to the slaughter.
He was led away unjustly condemned.
He was struck down.
He was buried like a criminal.

What a price God paid to redeem us! And how willingly he paid that price! Verse 10 and 11 tell us that after Jesus life was made an offering for sin, he would have many descendants and enjoy a long life. He would be satisfied after seeing all that is accomplished.

Our God is amazing and His love so beyond my understanding. I hope you too will take some time for a holy hush to come over you as you think on Jesus’s sacrifice for us.

No comments: