Thursday, February 26, 2009

Two Quotes to Share

This week I found the following in my readings from "Praying God's Word Day by Day" by Beth Moore.





The first I'd read before and remember being struck by, but apparently didn't put it in a place that I'd continually pondered it.



A Christian is held captive by anything that hinders the abdundant, effective, spirit-filled life God planned for him.



As I read it, I was struck again by the power of the definition. I needed to share it, but I also want to place it where I can be reminded of it often. (I think you'll see it on the sidebar soon!) Think this quote over a bit. We think we're free. We resist any idea that we could be slaves of something aside from God. BUT we are often recaptivated...not by God, but rather by things that hinder us. Things that keep us from the life God has planned for us. What a plan! It's a life that's abundant, effective and spirit-filled. I can invision that life...I want that life...and yet, sometimes I trade in that life so easily to be captive to my silly notions, my shortsighted solutions, and my prideful self. I want the life God has planned for me...what about you? Let's remember that we are free indeed (thanks to the blood of Christ!) and stay that way!



The second quote newly struck me, but my wandering heart loves it.



Obedient lives are not perfect lives. Obedience does not mean sinlessness, but confession and repentence when we sin.



I've often wondered how King David could be called "a man after God's own heart" after all he did that showed his shortcomings and sin. I guess I've connected having a heart like God's to having a heart that pleases Him. I think this quote helps to show how a heart that sometimes turns and is far from perfect could please God. God loves a heart that obeys Him, that delights in hearing His Word and doing it. But in our flesh that obedience falters. We fail. I fail...and often miserably. BUT God wants us to turn around and return to Him as soon as we fall. That's the key to having a heart that pleases him. May I be quick to obey and even quicker to return if I don't!

No comments: