Tuesday, February 17, 2009

A meal with God

Today I was reading from Exodus 24. The leaders of Isarel meet with God to confirm the covenant. I was caught by something I read in verses 9-11. It says that Moses, Aaron, Nadab, Abihu, and the seventy elders of Israel climbed up the mountain and saw God. It says the nobles gazed upon God and He did not destroy them. Here they saw him in glory. Curiously, the only thing recorded about what they saw is his feet and what seemed to be under his feet. An article I later read suggested that the elders were gazing up at God who was enthroned above them and so they only viewed his feet. This would seem to be supported by other descriptions of seeing God on his throne (Ezekial and Rvelation) and the fact that anyone who saw God's face would die (Remember even Moses had to be covered by God's hand and only saw his back (Exodus 33). Can you imagine how that experience would change one's life? How often do we wish we could REALLY see God in a tangible way? But not only did they see God, they also ate a covenant meal within his presence. When two parties entered into a covenant, a sacrifice was made, and a meal was often shared using part of the sacrifice. That would be a pretty amazing meal.

But while thinking on that, I was suddenly aware, that we too share a meal with God- a covenant meal when we eat the Lord's Supper. It's during this meal that we remember the New covenant. It's a meal that reminds us His very body and blood fulfilled the demands of the covenant. Now, that's an even more amazing meal.



As I pondered this the questions then came. So, how am I living after having been in God's presence and eating from His table? Do I live differently? Am I marked by the New Covenant in anyway? Or, like the elders of Israel, do I quickly descend from the mountain and soon set up altars to a god that I make and seem to forget the whole thing.

May you meet with God and remember the covenant He's made with you. AND may this make all the difference in the world!

No comments: