Saturday, February 6, 2010

For God’s gifts and his call can never be withdrawn. Romans 11:29

As I was studying yesterday, I came across this verse. I thought hmm...I want to ponder that one some more and made a mental sticky note to come back to this. Now, sometimes when I make mental sticky notes they get lost far easer than the real Post-it variety, but this time, I remembered and took some time to look at the verse again.

Wow. Let those words sink in. In the NCV it reads, "God never changes his mind about the poopole he calls and the things he gives them."

The context of the verse is Paul reminding Gentile Roman Christians that God has chosen the Jewish people and still has a special plan for them even though Christ made a way for ALL people to be saved. It's an important thing to remember. As I've been reading through Genesis again I've been struck by how much these people are like me. God says do this. It's good. I don't do it. God says don't do this. It's bad. I do it. I make things and want people to look at me and not God. God gives a promise and I try to have it happen in my own way and in my time. God says don't go there, and I try to negotiate with Him, but end up needing to flee and go where he told me to anyway. These are just a few of the simliarities. But as I review the lives of these people and their relationship with God, I'm so grateful for their scenes in God' story. Because when I read Romans 11:29 and remember these lives, I'm reminded again that God knows what he's doing. He's not surprised by my failings and He will use me if I will turn to Him and allow Him. He has chosen me. He has gifted me.

The same is true with you if you have a relationship with God through Jesus Christ. You have been chosen. You have been gifted. You will stumble, but neither of those things will be taken from you. God will still chose you. God has still given you tasks that require the gifts He has given you. So, if you've tripped up recently, dust yourself off, remind yourself of God's truth and keep doing what He's told you to do!

No comments: