Sunday, February 21, 2010

A Mighty Whisper


This morning as I was reading through my devotions, I was drawn to these words in Job 26:14 (CEV). "We only hear a whisper of him." Job was recounting to his three friends how mighty and awesome God is. Job recognized that God was God. He is the only one who can do things like, "stretch the northern sky over empty space" and "hang the earth on nothing". He is the one "draws the horizon like a circle on the water at the place where light and darkness meet" and makes the "heaven's foundations shake when he thunders at them." And yet at the end of this description of tremendous power Job shares that this is only a small part of God's works. That we only hear a whisper of him. We can't truly comprehend his great power.

We only hear a whisper. God is so vast. So mighty. It just doesn't sink in. Recently I've studied the account of creation and been brought to my knees by the awesomeness of our God. He spoke and things came into being. He created from nothing. He ordered and designed in intricate detail and yet stretched his creation over great heights and distances. Here when I read Job I'm challenged to remember that all this is just a whisper of God. What mighty Holiness is in His depths! Do you want to know this God more? I do. I want to tune in to the whisper and then hear even more. That's quite a challenge when the noise of the world is loud. I think that's another reason why I'm called to be still and know God. It's only in being still that we can hear the whisper and what is beyond the whisper. Come and be still with me today. Listen and worship!

No comments: