Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Heavenward

What is it about a clear blue sky that calls deep to my heart? When I step outside into the sunlight and inhale, it's then that I am drawn upward. My thoughts are pulled from earth's concerns and I begin to contemplate greater things. The burdens, loudness, dullness seem to fade a bit. The air becomes clearer, the peace greater, and I am drawn to Him. Do you feel the same thing?

What is it about the heavens that does this? I turned to the Word for some insight.

1 The heavens declare the glory of God;
the skies proclaim the work of his hands.
2 Day after day they pour forth speech;
night after night they reveal knowledge.
3 They have no speech, they use no words;
no sound is heard from them.
4 Yet their voice goes out into all the earth,
their words to the ends of the world.em>

The heavens tell of God's glory. They demonstrate His work. They speak of Him. Surely when we gaze upward we are reminded of who He is.


Psalm 8: 1-4
1 LORD, our Lord,
how majestic is your name in all the earth!
You have set your glory
in the heavens.
2 Through the praise of children and infants
you have established a stronghold against your enemies,
to silence the foe and the avenger.
3 When I consider your heavens,
the work of your fingers,
the moon and the stars,
which you have set in place,
4 what is mankind that you are mindful of them,
human beings that you care for them?


And when I look skyward, I find my place. I am small. He is great. And in His greatness He cares for me. Surely I can breathe easier with this in mind.

Psalm 36:5 Your love, LORD, reaches to the heavens,
your faithfulness to the skies.


I am loved. The heights of heaven try to measure off the vastness of this love.

Isaiah 40:26
Lift up your eyes and look to the heavens:
Who created all these?
He who brings out the starry host one by one
and calls forth each of them by name.
Because of his great power and mighty strength,
not one of them is missing.


I am cared for. The one who created all this and sustains it, knows my needs, can meet my needs, and promises to meet my needs.



1 Chronicles 16:31-33
31Let the heavens rejoice, let the earth be glad;
let them say among the nations, “The LORD reigns!”
32 Let the sea resound, and all that is in it;
let the fields be jubilant, and everything in them!
33 Let the trees of the forest sing,
let them sing for joy before the LORD,
for he comes to judge the earth.


So, my heart joins the anthem of the skies. My praise rises up to Him. It's good to get outside and think heavenward, isn't it?

Trying to count gifts like the stars in the sky:

99. Little Man saying first memory verse without any prompting- Word being hidden in the heart

100. Bedtime talks and overflowing love

101. Sitting at a supper table at sundown

102. Time with my husband

103. Over hearing Little Man say, "I'm glad you're my Daddy"

104. Pasta

105. Day filled with ordinary things

106. A boy and his trains

107. Love that keeps going beyond differences

108. Supper eaten by a sick boy

109. Tylenol

110. Special delivery from home- along trip

111. Afternoon naps

112. Sharing in communion and remembering the price Jesus paid for his bride

No comments: