Monday, August 24, 2009

What highway are you on?


I love the book of Isaiah. Those of you who know me are smiling right now. Yes, she does!

Isaiah 35:8-10 reads,
"And a great road will go through that once deserted land.
It will be named the Highway of Holiness.
Evil-minded people will never travel on it.
It will be only for those who walk in God’s ways;
fools will never walk there.
Lions will not lurk along its course,
nor any other ferocious beasts.
There will be no other dangers.
Only the redeemed will walk on it.
Those who have been ransomed by the Lord will return.
They will enter Jerusalem singing,
crowned with everlasting joy.
Sorrow and mourning will disappear,
and they will be filled with joy and gladness."

At first when I read verses 8-10 I thought, "I sure like that Highway to Holiness. Where's the nearest on ramp? It sounds like an expressway without any chance of going the wrong way. Sure sounds better than the winding country back roads I sometimes find myself on as I try to make the right decisions and do the right thing. In fact, it sounds like a super easy way to travel."

But then I did some rereading and thinking. I know this road already. The road he's talking about is Christ! Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life." AND this is what He was talking about. He is our way to holiness. I know that in ancient times a highway was a wonderful thing. It lifted a traveler out of the rough terrain and gave him a smooth path. Jesus does the same for me. He lifts me up and sets my feet on a smooth place. It's a path only for those that are pure in heart. Those that have decided to pursue righteousness. It's only for those that have been redeemed by the blood of Christ. And those traveling this highway do not have to worry about dangers. I have The Way. I don't need an easier way. What blessing! What joy!


Did you see where this road takes us? It's a celebration like no other! A worship celebration I believe. Those who travel this road will come to worship the One who redeemed them. These verses are prefaced with a chapter in which Isaiah shares how God will pour his wrath out on the nations. But the chapter that these verses are found in speaks of hope for the nation of Israel. God will provide deliverance! Those that are weak will be made strong. Those that are blind will see. Those that are deaf will hear. Those that are lame will walk. He will restore. And don't you just smile as you see that Jesus is the ultimate reality of this restoration! We'll be worshipping Christ, who is the Way, the Truth and the Life! All that was before, will be replaced with joy and gladness.

So, what about you. What highway are you on? Are your pursuing holiness? Are you walking with the Holy one? Praise the One who leads us to holiness and may we proclaim Him afresh in the lives of those we pass on our earthly byways and highways.

No comments: